Wednesday, November 12, 2014

stackoverflow: Writing the perfect question

I've blogged on this before but it bears repeating.

cf Jon Skeet: Writing the perfect question.

There was a question on SO that's a perfect example.

"How do I achieve SSO with site a, site b, WIF and SAML and STS"?

Is site a /b .NET / Java / ...?

What flavour STS?

WIF and SAML are mutually incompatible, Explain.

Are site a / b in different domains? With different identity repositories? If so, what repositories are these? AD or ...?

And so on.

In my experience, the quality of the answer correlates with the quality of the question.

Yeah - I get that people are leaving out important details because they don't really understand the environment.

If so, Google other questions. What details do they supply?

If you want to be noticed in the vast list of SO questions, you have to put some effort in.

Make me want to help you by answering!

Enjoy!
 



No comments: